When Will jumped out of his bed last summer and began his quest for extreme dislike to the ENT, he also decided his room was scary. After much ado, each of the girls would take turns sleeping in his trundle bed. However, sometimes that got old because a.) they are contrary little girls and b.) they like their new bunk beds. I could understand their sorrow, but I was not the parent who wanted to sleep with a child. The past few weeks, I threw out my strict Babywise training and either Craig or I would lay down with Will to get him to sleep.
In the midst of all of this, Will is CONVINCED he is a BIG boy. He is going to turn 4 soon, wear Luke's big clothes, get an ewectwic (electric-spin) toothbrush and have a Batman b-day party. We hear about this at least 18 times a day even though he will not turn 4 for 7 mos.
Friday night, he was yapping about being sooooo BIG and a clever idea popped in my head.
Me: If you are so big, why don't you sleep in your bed by yourself?
W: I can't, it is scary.
Me: It is not, it is a safe room.
W: Noooooo, I neeeeeed mmmmmmmyyyyy Mmmmmmmooooommmmmmmyyyyy!
Me: OK, if you sleep in your bed all by yourself, you can have an electric toothbrush.
W: Ok, good night, love you, I am a BIG boy!!!!
Me: Ok, good night....(me , taking deep breaths...walking slowly anticipating the hit of him running up behind me)
No hit, nothing, just a sweet little boy reading books w/his Toy Story flashlight who STAYED IN HIS BED ALL NIGHT.
Saturday morning, I woke up to him literally peeling my eyes back. "Mommy, IIIIII am a big boy WHO needs an eweklctric toothbrush because I slept in my bed all night so let's go to the store,mkay?"
Geez, I could have spent $4.96 a long time ago. After our Target excursion and a Spiderman toothbrush & toothpaste, our problems are solved (in that area!).
I knew I made an excellent bribery choice when at Craig's outreach yesterday, Will managed to score a bag of Big League Chew. Not only was it gone in 10 minutes, but I found the drippings on the floor of my car. At least the toothbrush can sufficiently help with tooth decay, my car may be another story.
Sunday, February 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
wow.. my bribes have never worked. you are impressive!
Ha!! I LOVE your patience ;-)
maybe we could get our boys together and they could work out a list of bribes needed to meet their "needs".. aka... potty time all the time, brushing their teeth, sleeping in their own beds.. eating ALL their food, etc..
Well-played, Hil. I say the occasional bribe is a valuable tool that, as long as wisely implemented, is the key to sanity at some moments. I think you did quite well for yourself on this one :)
Post a Comment