I would like to blog about the pros and cons of traveling by night vs day, but this post may sound like a bunch of nonsense due to the fact that I have been cleaning out drawers and chunking stuff like the world is ending tomorrow. (which you know, it could be!)
On our vacation of 1,730 miles (OH MY , No wonder I am tired!) last week, we drove through the grand state of Louisiana to stop and spend the night. I like to stay as far away from the swamp pop city of Baton Rouge as possible, the traffic is likened to Houston, it drives me nuts. Not to mention the drug trafficking on IH-10. I think everyone who drives it continuously would need to partake in something to survive.
Over the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, I want to close my eyes but since it is about 33 miles, that would mean I had to nap. A nap in the middle of a trip for me is rare. Someone may need a Kleenex, pretzel, gum, batteries, wet wipe, hand sanitizer, flashlight, lipstick, crayons, book, or settle a disagreement about one of the above. This leads me to my original plan in this wayward post. I was doling out snacks by Vidor. We had arguments through Orange, Sulphur and into LA. Someone is usually hungry, tired and asking when we will be there before an hour is up.
Brace yourselves people...at night, none of these things happened. We have never drove at night until on the return trip home from Arkansas. I ended up with a stomach bug on Thursday morning which put me out for about 24 hours. No one else got it, so maybe it was from a mixture of Purell & pretzels. Who knows? Anyway, I was a chicken that I would drive on Sat and someone would be sick, throwing up in the hills. So, we set out at night much to my family's dismay.
SO, here is the list:
PROS: they sleep, they don't eat, they don't need to go to the bathroom, the car stays clean, the phone never rings, you make good time, everyone gets along fine! Did I make a rhyme?
CONS: freaks come out at night, you must pick your stops carefully, you drink A LOT of cappuccino, conversations are interesting (this could be a pro?), gas stations are closed in little towns, drivers can't sleep, you miss scenery, Toy Story repetitively plays in the DVR in case your 3 year old wakes up.
Of course, some things are pros and cons. TOY STORY 2 played continously, I can see Buzz rescuing Andy "to infinity and beyond" in the elevator when I close my eyes. Thankfully, we have taken a slight T Story break and jumped into Squeakquel, kudos to Paula.
To be honest, Will & Claire did wake up once when we stopped and they both used the restroom in a parking lot in Mayflower, AR. Good times. I do not think they would have woke up if we had not roused them. Faith was a bit dissatisfied with the weather b/c it was a little cool in the car at night, Craig saved the day with his sweatshirt. Next time, I am going to give them each a travel pillow w/a blanket. And, I plan to save my snack money.
Thursday, July 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
So it's official... you're traveling at night from now on?
no, b/c we always have to be able to sleep when we get to our destination. what if we can't do that?
travel by night is awesome for the kids and while being exhausted I loved it!! No one needed anything and I could think while I drove. However, there is not a babysitter in the daylight hours when you need to sleep and they need to be up... but like you, I enjoyed it once!
Post a Comment