Tuesday, February 16, 2010

An amateur gone nest-er!

All this rearranging furniture talk has challenged me. My furniture in the "kid-den" has been the same since Rita came for a visit. Rita is like a member of the family; she bought a new roof, furniture, floors, and a dear amount of nerve.

Anyway, after an easy day yesterday, I decided to change the den, at 11:30 at night. Instead of finding precious posts like this, I should have been on my decor kick.

I was trying to be really quiet because I was a bit scared that Craig would wake up and wonder where I was. I knew he would miss me madly as he slept. However, he never woke up until I dropped a lamp. He ran down the hall at lightning speed as he thought it sounded like a gunshot. I knew then as he rolled his eyes and huffed, I should have just gone to bed. Much to his dismay, I continued to work because by then I had become the lucky winner of 5 bendaroos, an extra extension cord , and 3 pounds of dust.

Before:



I think this is way cozier, but I now wish the walls were not painted the color wish. Now was not the time to share it with the Rev.


My next problem was the corners of the room. After changing the green cabinet/shed like storage & previously Paula's fancy secretary about 3 times, I became frustrated. It was too crowded with the rocking chair. I thought about getting rid of it but, I am a little attached because my friend Karen friend gave it to me and she & Paula worked so hard to staple gun material all over it! It has comical memories, along with sweet baby spit-up, lots of it. It used to have a cute pillow on it, and I am wondering if I spied it in the kid's playhouse last week. For a moment, I contemplated putting the chair in the playhouse.

Then, it hit me. This is my fave part of the post. I moved the rickety bookshelf in closer, more cozy.

I like it so much more! I want to rearrange all the pics and move many items around, but I was afraid to use the hammer. I don't want to lose my jelly bean status. Also, a new ceiling fan is in the works too. Budget, must keep with the budget....Hobby Lobby is calling my name.

I do not like this shot as well, it still needs more style. In the left corner, do you feel a plant, lamp, or neither? I am thinking lamp and pics. What do you think? I need all 5 of you to comment. :)

13 comments:

Meredith said...

ohhh.. i like it!! yes! lamp and pics.. then fly up here and help me k? now i want to rearrange!!!

adrienne said...

love it. definitely need some height in the left corner. and some window treatments for those french doors!!

Paula Aspacher said...

ok, what about putting the green cabinet back in the left corner.. take the secretary out and put it behind the chair by the hall.. put the red chair where the secretary is and put a lamp on a little table by the chair or a lamp on a stand beside it near the back. the chair would be catty corner..

or move the couch up just a little and leave all as is, just turn the red chair toward the kitchen a little more and then add a lamp stand and a little table or basket beside it.

see i thought about it.

hilarylarson said...

secretary is 38 inches wide which moves the chair over, couch back and crowds the chair in the corner. I could try the secretary back on the left corner and chair in right? i will try later if i do not pass out from exhaustion. :)

adrienne said...

can i change my mind? i don't love the green thing where it is right now. I kinda liked it where it was originally, before you moved anything. i think it looks cute in the right corner w/ the red chair. although the secretary and the kid table/chairs look good there too...

i do love the couch and chair switcheroo!

Michelle said...

I like it!! Isn't it refreshing to redo something when you didn't even expect it??/ THAT is always my moto.. and my mojo for doing anything it seems... rearrange like a madwoman then sit back and enjoy!

hilarylarson said...

r u serious? :)
i have moved that green "thing" a billion times, it really is so cute next to the couch!!!

it leaves a hole w/out it and then the kid's table is too short.

maybe i will try again 2morrow. no, i know i will try again
2morrow!


michelle - i would call me obsessive! :O)

hilarylarson said...

going to sleep on it. moved the green"thang" back to original corner w/kids table. that looks really good!

i put the secretary near the couch, i do not like it so much. maybe i need to visit jan?

adrienne said...

sorry! do you wish i hadn't said anything? i am sure it looks different to be there vs. looking at it in a photo. guess i better head down tomorrow and have a look in person... :)

hilarylarson said...

no, i am so glad u said something. i need help!!! see ya around 8, coffee will be ready. don't we wish? :)

Paula Aspacher said...

new pictures and a new post if you change stuff around! also with your added goodies

Paula Aspacher said...

ok, i read 'em all... i don't see knew pics! just keep moving it around!!! and around!!!

Shan31772 said...

Sorry I'm late to post, but I just wanted to tell you I like the new arrangement. I am also all for new ceiling fan and wall color, but it looks very cozy! (Your house always does;)