Thursday, February 18, 2010

Get a grip

Will & I had this conversation in the car today.

W: When I am 4 Mommy, am I gonna be a big boy?

Me: Yes, Will, you will be a big boy.

W: I can wear Luke's big clothes and go to the fire house to see the fireman? (a random thought as we passed the fire station on Gladys)

Me: Yes, you will be so big!

W: Are you gonna cry?

Me: Yes, I might cry if you get bigger.

W: NO, I don't want you to cry!!!

Me, teasing & laughing: Well, I might cry because my baby is not a baby anymore!

W: Then I will tell you to get a grip.

Oh my, well actually, I could stand to get a grip. I was studying John 15 this week and it reminded me in verse 5, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."

I think that word was nothing, you can do nothing apart from Me. Lord, help me to remain/abide in you no matter what, no matter the day, no matter the hour. Not just because I want to do something, but because I can do nothing without You.

I can't even rearrange a room without You.

I did stick to the grocery budget, and cook up a storm this week. I have to admit, it was all pretty good too. I have found that if you use your recipe books, you can find recipes. It pays to plan vs. preparing the same old stuff, which has been my routine for years. Maybe my life is slowing down to take the time to do it? Since Craig's cholesterol diet 4 years ago, we eat pretty healthy so I weeded out unnecessary recipes I would never use.

Also, I plan to use one of my cookbooks a month. The ones that I do not like, I am chunking/giving away. I could also pull out recipes I like in order to compile ideas vs. 15 books I never open. Here was the menu this week:

Monday: Steak, sweet potatoes, salad
Tuesday: Creamy Italian Ziti, asparagus, salad
Wednesday: Meat Loaf & Auntie Ona's cherry cola salad
Thursday: Shrimp bisque, grill cheese sandwiches, cherry cola salad

Tomorrow is leftovers and/or cereal when all else fails. I also plan to make Mere's apple pie. Craig took Will with him to the lake so it is just the girls. We are much easier to please. We could eat pie for dinner!

8 comments:

Meredith said...

i find that if i plan a menu then shop from that menu it is way easier and budget friendly!!

adrienne said...

what's your meatloaf recipe? i made a turkey meatloaf for nate a few weeks ago, and i was wife of the year... but for just a sec. then i went back to my normal self. :)

Shan31772 said...

I'm all about planning a menu and then buying the groceries. I need to get myself a cookbook, the fam is probably sick of the same ol' stuff. As for Will, HE IS DEFINITELY YOUR CHILD-lol (he is too funny!)

hilarylarson said...

craig thought the meat loaf was just ok. it was a recipe from pat baker, friend of mom's in mtn home. he said it was too sweet. i have aunt margaret's recipe which calls for mushroom gravy, i should have made that one.


shannon - i can mail u some cookbooks, don't buy one! :)

hilarylarson said...

shannon - also, check out the ingoodtaste blog on my sidebar. good recipes!

Shan31772 said...

Thanks for the tip! That's where I found that tortilla soup recipe my family loves:)

Michelle said...

Hey, I want your cookbooks... I collect them... and YES I do use them... just not all the time.. LOVE YOU!

hilarylarson said...

Done...after I go through them, you can have them. :)