** Update - book found, it was at school!
Ever had some? I am currently swimming in it. Let me explain. As my previous post stated, my 6 year old is just now learning to tie her shoes, basically lack of mom or dad teaching her. I just checked her folder from school. Guess what? I got this note.
Dear Parents,
Please help your child find their library book this weekend. Thank you! Mrs. Hennigan
Library book? You mean now we, I , lost a library book! (This also used to annoy me, I must have been a cranky teacher!) It is called, Sam the Sea Cow. The funny thing is, I kept seeing that book and it was in her backpack forever but I think Christmas celebrations messed up their library time so I am not 100% convinced that she did not turn it in. Of course, she says that she did. Another funny thing, I own that book, I used it teaching. We have another copy...where is it? Can't find it either! I know we have a lot of people around here but I run a pretty tight ship, it is not an unorganized disaster, usually just an organized disaster!
When we searched everywhere looking for it, I told Faith the librarian may not let her check out books again. Well, that just upset her so as I sipped my soup, I gently told her I would talk to Mrs. Hennigan on Monday morning and if we did indeed lose it, we will just pay for it. She said, "What if we do not have enough money?" I assured her we did. (Thank God it was a paperback!)
Anyway, I told her not to worry about it - we would take care of it. I do not think I ever lost a library book but I have gained pride. Wooh - I am a pill or was or can still be. (very verby-incorrect grammar but i don't care) I used to be annoyed at parents who could not help their children keep up with books, homework or whatever; I am sure I judged them. When I taught in the inner-city, I usually did not get upset about that kind of stuff. I expected it there but I don't remember them ever checking out books, kinda sad too.
If I went back to teaching, I would definitely be a better or different teacher, maybe with more grace. I only taught Kdg & 1st grade (a bit of GT 2nd) but we sure did expect a lot. I consider myself an organized, involved parent but I still mess up. I am sure BISD is glad I am at home... the feeling is mutual. Right now, I enjoy teaching at Power Castle, think I should begin a lesson w/a pop quiz and issue tardies to outreach? Nah...I bet Jesus didn't. Off to drink more hUmBle SoUp.
** Maybe if you visited me recently, you saw this book - let me know!
Saturday, January 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i always thought it was humble pie. and i don't recall seeing the sam book during our visit.
i wish the librarian's name was ms. hannigan so she could make everyone say "we love you ms. hannigan"
pie would not have been enough to eat, i need a whole pot!
Post a Comment