I have seen footage and first hand pics of Bolivar for weeks. I have even seen pics of our "house" up close but until you see it with the eye, you haven't seen it. I cannot describe the devastation. It looks like hundreds of bombs went off all over the place. It is obliterated. The entire place is a total mess.
We scavenged for hours to find a few remnants of dishes or knick-knacks, none. Ma did find pieces of a cross she had made from shells. We dug the foot board to their bed out of the sand. I saw her R Lauren sheets buried in about a foot of sand, we decided to leave them.
Yes, there are houses that seem untouched. They used to be ocean front property and now they are garbage front. Debris is everywhere and I mean everywhere. It is bottom less pit junk.
Some neighborhoods are worse than others. Some additions are invisible, you cannot tell one from the other. Sandpiper had many homes standing as did Cobb's Cove & Lafitte's Landing.
Some homes look untouched from behind with air conditioners intact until you look at the front and the front of the house is gutted. I saw beds made up with pillows in place but no walls around them. Some cabins had stairs and appear perfect while others have nothing but a slab, some have just sand. I bet I saw 1,000 toilets stuck in mud or sand. I called it muck, I realize the meaning of the word. It is disgusting.
Most businesses have nothing left. Stingaree Restaurant had damage but was still standing. I think the water slide will be usable someday but with the present destruction, no one but city garbage can earn a living. Gas station, donut shop, hardware store, and tire shop are erased from the land. Post office looked good, I think it was built to last. We did not drive down far enough to see the school or the many homes on the bay or new ones closer to the Ferry. I heard many are still there.
It must be devastation in the billions. The real misfortune is that people made a living there, raised their family, it was their life. It is no secret that Crystal Beach was junky. There were some rubbish parts. Despite the 2nd home or retiree taxpayers, it was not a wealthy area. There is wealth there or was to the people who owned businesses or had extravagant homes. My in-laws spent a ton of money at the Big Store and so did us kids. I bet we could have paid the insurance premium over the past 10 years in groceries.
To many people, it was a get-away home, a vacation spot. But to others, it was all they had. It broke my heart to see them digging through rubble to find anything worth keeping.
Once again, we are reminded to build our home on the Rock, the only rock. It pains me to think of those who are so sorrowful for the loss and they do not know Jesus. What a mission field, they need Him so much but now they are scattered like lost sheep. I am glad I know the One who can find them.
We know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands.
2 Corinthians 5 : 1
Saturday, September 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
That was touching and I am reminded right now that all we have is God's. It is his to give and his to take away. And like you have told me he is the only one we can rely one. He will never fail us. I pray that through this storm more people realize that God is our rock and place all they have in him.
Post a Comment